Built on the strategic point at Delimara Headland this fort commanded the entrance to Marsaxlokk harbour. The gun emplacements were cut into the rock and the gun casemates still hold some of the original armament of 12.5-inch R.M.l. guns.
Built between Fort Ricasoli and Zonqor Point Fort San Leonardo takes the shape of a triangle with a diamaon shaped keep at its apex. The keep is seperated from the rest of the fort by an internal ditch defended by two caponiers. The fort wasa armed with 11-inch R.M.L. guns superceded by 9.2-inch B.L. guns
Built to protect Marsaxlokk harbour, Fort St. Lucian is a modifed coastal tower originally constructed in 1610. It was armed in the Victorian period with four 64pr RML guns on Moncrieff disappearing carriages and 10-inch R.M.L.s in casemates behind shields.
This fort was given the role of both coastal battery and land front fort. It sits behind the Victoria Lines, which it supports, and has guns that can fire out to sea to protect St. Paul's and Mellieha Bays.
Built on the seward flank of the Victoria Lines this fort was intended to defend the Grand Harbour from long range bombardment. Its armament was three 11-inch R.M.L. guns and one 64pr R.M.L. gun on a Moncrieff Mounting.
This fort was built as a redoubt to command the higher ground of the Delimara Headland. It overlooks Marsaaloxx Bay and was designed to command the northern approaches to Marsacala Bay. Its armament consisted of six 64pr RML guns on Moncrieff disappearing carriages.
All photographs are copyright © Michael Forrest