Author Topic: sargent cooks  (Read 2676 times)

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
sargent cooks
« on: October 04, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »
i have been asked to find information on the victorian sargent cook, uniform and markings, im guessing the main difference in kit would be the working wear for cooking? any suggestions?

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
Re: sargent cooks
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
I cannot find any reference in the uniform regulations to a special uniform being provided for cooks.
The attached photos show cooks wearing the usual issue grey collarless shirt with a white apron to protect them from the heat. In the second photo the cooks are wearing the white duck working uniform that was issued to all gun crews. The only extra is the hat!
David Moore

Die, my dear Doctor? Thats the last thing I shall do. - Palmerston (attrib)

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
i had to look twice at the chap with the ankle length apron, thanks for the pics they are good info, a white apron , the use of bakers hats and white ducks as well, i suspected these may be used as working wear,
it also has some good images of kitchen equipment, im currently hunting equipment for a mobile victorian kitchen, i can now also include the white bakers hat for use in cooking, it is always worth asking about these things as pictures are a good historical resource,  do you mind if i print a copy?

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »
The buckets in the foreground are the 'tea' buckets. Yes, use the photo as you wish. It comes from Navy and Army Illustrated.
David Moore

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
This is the inventory for a Cookhouse. This equipment stayed in the cookhouse of the fort as regiments came and went. They brought other equipment with them for use but what was on this board had to stay when they left. The inventory board was pinned to the wall. There was an inventory board for every room in the fort.
David Moore

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »
will have to do a bit of kitchenalia research for the appearence of the correct items listed, such as wooden vegetable mashers, this will be a useful list to use, so far i have been acquiring cooking equipment and benches, tables etc for use, currently negotiating for a soyer cooker, soyers cookbook providing numerous recipes, without a fitted cookhouse a lot of the display will be around a 'field' type kitchen but the equipment in use is similiar, a large teabucket is currently on the list of bits to find, it will take a while but i am hoping to have a 'correct' functioning kitchen for next years catering when at events, one thing i did find a while back was a 10 inch cutting knife with vr monogram which is on the list, i can put up a picture if anyone is interested? again, thanks for the info, every bit helps create a better and more historically correct display.

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »
Yes, please post the cutting knife picture. All information is good for assisting others. Many years ago the PAV managed to acquire a Rippengilles for use when re-enacting away. It works beautifully. A full roast dinner was successfully cooked on it. At Crownhill Fort!
David Moore

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »
i remember snaffling a piece of bacon from the pav cook who was using it  one year :) , they are a most excellent victorian invention, we  recently acquired one which we have used for tea and some of the cooking this year, im looking on ebay for a suitable tin tray to fit the oven at present, i need to trim the wicks and do a little work on it in the near future,  the most common comment when people see one for the first time is they want one. i will post a picture of the knife in the next week,

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
i took some pictures while in the store the other day, didnt realise the quality until i just had a look at them, will take a better pic when the sun returns, marked with the vr cypher and crown, superior quality, the handle is the only one  i had at the time which was suitable so ignore the bread carved in it, hope this is of interest,

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »
ok i had a couple of pics, will attach the others,

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »
last one

Offline Dave W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
Regarding cooks uniforms. Whilst researching magazine uniforms (for years) I came across a reference in the 1936 Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries which stated 'Frocks CH 1201-13 Magazine Duck' also for bakers and cooks. Its interesting to note that in a picture of (Norfolk Regiment) cooks in the 1930s, I believe them to be wearing canvas type material jackets (no pockets) similar in design to the believed design of a magazine uniform.

www.victorianforts.co.uk