www.victorianforts.co.uk

Author Topic: Structures at Culver battery.  (Read 1873 times)

Offline HALLY

• View Profile
Structures at Culver battery.
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »
Hi folks, just been looking at 1939 images of Culver battery IOW on "Britain From Above" and came across some unusual structures just forward of the guns. They don't show up on any of the info I have on Culver, anyone have any ideas on what they are ?.

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
Re: Structures at Culver battery.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
Interesting pictures Hally. A good find.
The two structures could be the twin six emplacements installed temporarily to test fire control arrangements. My lists show only one installed late 1938, but this proves three?
Here is a similar one at East Blockhouse, Milford Haven defences.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:40:14 PM by David »
David Moore

Die, my dear Doctor? Thats the last thing I shall do. - Palmerston (attrib)

Offline HALLY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Thanks David, certainly looks similar but I think you are right there was only one experimental twin 6 pdr fitted in 1938. Just read your excellent publication "The East Wight Defences" and you record three 6" BL Mk VIIs being temporarily fitted on 45 degree mountings in 1934. I think these certainly fit the bill. Out of interest just found another view of Culver Battery on "Britain From Above" dated 1932 and the three emplacements are not there then.

Cheers Hally.

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
Yes you could be right. I did consider that but the emplacements did not look right and the date for the twin six at late 1938 seemed to fit. This would be after the 6inch BLs  and there is no sign of it on the 1939 photos. Three of them does suggest the 6inch BLs are a better bet.
There is a remnant of something behind the right emplacement. Could be the twin six? Could be earlier. Seems to be the circular feature on the second 1939 photo.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:12:17 PM by David »
David Moore

Die, my dear Doctor? Thats the last thing I shall do. - Palmerston (attrib)