www.victorianforts.co.uk

Author Topic: waterproofing  (Read 1507 times)

Offline monty

• View Profile
waterproofing
« on: June 09, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »
I have often wondered if any form of water proofing was used to keep tunnels and underground chambers free of water ingress, surely something must have been used? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
Re: waterproofing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
Apart from the usual method of pouring a weak layer of cement over the brick vaults of a tunnel, magazine or casemate followed by a layer of asphalte (original spelling) I have not come across any particular instructions. There is an appendix to the 1860 Royal Commission report, No.IV entitled 'Memoranda on the Condition of Magazines and other Buildings covered with Earth, in respect to Dampness. On the Probable Causes and on the  means of Prevention by Improved ventilation'. I have placed a copy for downloading here:
http://www.victorianforts.co.uk/docs/1860AppendixIV.pdf
David Moore

Die, my dear Doctor? Thats the last thing I shall do. - Palmerston (attrib)

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
Re: waterproofing
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »
it depends on structure type and location, the use of asphalt is combined at times by use of drainage in banks, and slight inclines to encourage water run off, some vents had vent caps which look a bit like a 2-3ft wide tin hat positioned on 3 or four legs over some large horizontal vents, where practical there were also in places small run off gulleys and drains(a cut out about 4 inches square) to allow water to run out of enclosed caponiers and structures. a slight incline in construction allows water to run to low points which is where you will find drainage where suitable.
with the use of whitewash rather than modern paints dampness is allowed to permeate out of structures and dissipate, use of paint seals it in and causes problems.
was their a specific type of structure or location you had in mind as it varies on site and type but the general principles of run off and drainage are applicable.

anything