www.victorianforts.co.uk

Author Topic: Fort Bovisand  (Read 2469 times)

Offline baggy

• View Profile
Fort Bovisand
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:56 PM »
Hi,
Do any members of the forum work with the Fort Bovisand Trust (Plymouth defences), or is anyone involved in any way with the project to restore this fort ? I would be interested to hear from you as I would like to know more about timescales for the restoration, and understand more details about the planned learning centre in particular. Thanks.

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
Re: Fort Bovisand
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
i was talking with the chap coming up with the interpretation plan, but they have now left, there is a basic public webpage-
http://www.fortbovisandtrust.org/

the whole process is being done through a long winded separate and compartmentalised contract system, I have repeatedly suggested they talk to pfs amongst others but so far to no avail, if you contact them via website they may send some info out, hope all well, jon

Offline baggy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
Grateful for the info Jon. I guessed the progress was slow by the lack of detail on the site in the "current position" section. It could get very interesting though. I plan to get in touch with them at some point. Thanks again.

Offline jon brown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »
haven't heard from them or been involved in a long while, seems they are still in the public consultation stage for lottery funding, saw this in the local paper.
I am curious to know what these mysterious Napoleonic stores for 15 inch shells someone mentioned are supposed to be, a bit of a difference in time between 1815 and the 1860's. perhaps a little confusion over dates.

here are some pictures.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/pictures/PICTURES-Inside-Plymouth-s-abandoned-Fort/pictures-27710082-detail/pictures.html

looking at the slides photographed they are going down the (this is just my my opinion) rather wishy washy touchy feely, modern interpretation in a soon out of date modern style, rather than fitting the place out like it was, and making use of the place itself to tell its story, in conjunction with interpretive material, they are looking to create primarily  ''interpretive'' panels to tell you stories with, that create spaces unrelated to the structures and place they are contained within. while placing it in an up to date and comfortable environment. ( you may guess I am not a fan of fashionable interpretation that requires only boards and electronic toys in isolation and tries to be up to date and zeitgeist, as it soon fades and the electronic toys break)

recent studies into interpretation show the public get annoyed with them as well, preferring guide books, labels and actual material to look at (underfall yard trust study into interpretation in Bristol being just one report )

the article the photos go with is here-

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Abandoned-Bovisand-Fort-reveal-Plymouth-museum/story-27710227-detail/story.html

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:56:29 PM by jon brown »

Offline baggy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »
Thanks for the update Jon. I missed the Herald article when it came out. As for 'Napoleonic', if I had a pound or every time I hear Plymouth's forts referred to as 'Napoleonic', I would have several pounds by now!
I am not a big fan of the fashionable approach either. Like you, I would prefer to see parts of the fort shown as they were, much as Nothe Fort in Weymouth did with their Victorian gun deck. It gives visitors the impression they are going back to that time. Far more educational than a couple of shiny boards.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:34:21 PM by baggy »

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »
Plans can be viewed here (thanks to Nigel Sharp for the news and link)
http://apps.southhams.gov.uk/planningsearch/default.aspx?shortid=58%2F2442%2F15%2FLB
David Moore

Die, my dear Doctor? Thats the last thing I shall do. - Palmerston (attrib)

anything